Calabasas third grade student, Mia Alejandra Durazo, won first place with her dish, vegetable quesadillas, in the final competition of the Sixth Annual Sodexo Future Chef Competition held at Calabasas School. The theme this year was “Healthy Mexican Food.”
Durazo competed against four finalists for the grand prize. Finalists and their dishes included:
- Andrea Arias, Calabasas, grade 3, Stuffed Avocados
- Mia Alejandra Durazo, Calabasas, grade 3, Vegetable Quesadillas
- Anabella Martinez, San Cayetano, grade 5, Festive Shrimp
- Jose Ochoa, San Cayetano, grade 5, Mexican Pasta with Avocado
- Alan Perez, Mountain View, grade 4, Fish Tacos
Second and third place winners were Andrea Arias and Alan Perez, respectively.
Judges included Susan Faubion, John Hays, Rene Ramirez and Ofelia Scholl. Entrées were judged for originality, healthy attributes and kid appeal.
“Although I had the opportunity to sample all of the student entries, Mia’s stood out, not only in the way in which it was presented but also by the incredible taste,” said Calabasas Principal John Fanning. “Mia Durazo did a fantastic job, and everyone who had the opportunity to taste her quesadillas would most certainly agree.”